Friday, September 9, 2011

The Other Half



I hated everything; my mother, my father and mostly my twin brother. I meant nothing to them. I was treated like I did not exist. All my worth was nothing more than just something that can be thrown away. How I suffered from the lack of love given to me.

All my parents’ love and care went to my twin brother, Remy who had serious disease. He had been suffering from Kelthu’zad Disease from the moment he drew his first breath in this world. Ever since, he had a weak body and had to rely on medicines daily to keep on living. He would take 10 pills daily and drink up bitter medicines. But that was not enough of an excuse to treat me like rubbish. His every needs and desires would be fulfilled, the exact opposite thing for me.

One fateful day, everything changed. It all started when Remy destroyed my phone. It was my most precious treasure I had. I was furious. Even though he did not do it on purpose, I could not control myself. All my anger and hatred over the years I kept within me had taken over me. I could not think straight. I pushed him with all my might. I beat the crap out of him. Without even thinking about the consequences, I left him black and blue all over his bodies.

Suddenly, I sensed someone with much greater anger from me. it was my father. He came close to my back. He slapped me on the face from behind. It was the most painful slap I had. It was not like the usual. The pain I felt on my cheek was nothing compared to the pain I felt in my heart to know who I was to him. Not in my wildest dream that I thought that he held that much hatred in me, his own son. As the pain and hatred ruled over me, I came across a decision that I would regret for all my entire life.

I glared at my father with sharp eyes. I stood up on my feet and wiped my face. I grinned and turned my back at him. I declared myself out of this hellish house of misery. As I was leaving the room, I was stopped by my twin brother. Even when lying on the ground, he grabbed firmly onto my leg, refused to let me go. It seemed that he did not want me to leave. However, my mind was made up. Leaving the house was the only thing to make my heart at ease.

Unfortunately, I was dead wrong. Just a few steps out of my house, a catastrophe had been brought upon me. When I was crossing the road, I saw flashy blinding light from behind. I turned my back and saw my world darkened by pitch black darkness.

When I opened my eyes, I saw some lights hanging on the ceilings. From the look of it, I was hospitalized. It was familiar because I had been going to the same hospital like I did to visit my brother. That thought triggered another question in my head. It was about my family. I quickly searched for my family even though I would not be so broken hearted to not find any. I soon noticed the presence of my parent beside me with tears flowing out from their eyes. The pain seemed to be gone by the warmth of love shown by them. But wait, I felt something were wrong.

I looked around and still could not find him, my twin brother. My parent would not leave him by his own just to accompany me considering his current disabilities. As unanswered questions piled up in my head, I began asking them about Remy. Weirdly, they did not answer me. I could tell from their face and they way they avoided from answering my questions, something must have happened to Remy. I remained confused.

A few weeks later, I could finally get back home, which was once I left. I did not know why but I was eager to meet Remy. I quickly dashed to his room but found no one. My father came in after me and handed me a letter. He could not hold back his tears as he handed me the letter. He said that the letter had all the answers I seek. Judging from the handwriting, I knew it was from my twin brother. The letter was entitled “My Other Half”
                                                        Dear brother,
I’m sorry that I can’t be there to greet you home,
I’m sorry that I broke your phone,
I’m sorry that I had been a burden to you,
I’m sorry that I can’t be a good brother,
I’m sorry that this is good bye

For the rest of my life
I`ll be with you
I`ll stay by your side honest and true
Till the end of my time
I`ll be loving you.
Through days and night
Now and forever I I`ll be there for you

I cried my heart out that day. I never had thought that I had lost my other half forever. Tears came down flowing from my eyes. Then, I had learnt the truth from my father. I was hospitalized because I was hit by a car. I was knocked down and loss a massive amount of blood. In order to keep me alive, I needed a new supply of blood. And there was only one person in this world shared the same blood type as me.

Remy told my father that he would donate his blood to me, even if it would kill him. He had his own reasons for the decision he had made. He kept on telling that he wanted to give me something that I had lost. I was not sure what he meant. The operation to save me went well and Remy drew his last breath a few days later.

My knees fell down on the ground learning how stupid I was. The person I despised the most was the person that loved me the most. The end of his life had started my new life. His final words on the back of the letter changed me till I am today.

“Don’t cry, my dear brother”



No comments:

Post a Comment